How do you say goodbye to someone you love, especially when it is a final goodbye? You know you will never see the person alive again, and you depend on memories to cherish each other.
My brother died on this day, 8/09, when I was away in Canada in 2007. He was the youngest, and yet he dreamt big. He wanted the best for all of us, especially Mom. He was a typical Mama's boy, always calling her whenever he was free at work, buying her presents without an occasion, and making sure she was all right. And she, too, would wait for his calls; otherwise, she'd call him to talk. I wasn't sure what they had so much to talk about, but their calls lasted nearly an hour each time, and after a few hours, there'd be another call again.
'Oh Gosh, Mom - again?' the rest of us would roll our eyes when we saw her on the phone with him. But now with his passing, I realise how precious a memory it has become for us. Mom loved him so much that she'd wait up for him to be back from work every night; otherwise she wouldn't sleep a wink until he returned. And when he did, he'd go into her room and would lie down next to her before returning to his room. It became a habit after a while.
She'd scold him for being late, but he always got around her and made her laugh about something.
These days, the catastrophes around the world have separated Mother and Son, siblings and loved ones. It is such a sad situation. I can't imagine the carnage and devastating consequences to those affected. It's like the Earth is spewing outrage at being devastated by humanity.
Life is so precious and so short for future generations and us, trying to hang on to sanity to make sense of the disasters.
What do you want, dear Earth, that your volcanoes are now erupting, there are fires and flooding, mountains are falling, and valleys have deepened, that so much suffering have you bestowed on Man. Are you angry beyond redemption? I can't find the right words but plead for it all to end soon.
For Des.
-shobana-
I think about him (poetry) on SHOBANA
https://www.shobanagomes.live/2026/09/i-think-about-him.html

No comments:
Post a Comment